Propane Bubbles: Flaming Fireballs You Can Hold
You must ONLY conduct this experiment if you are experienced in using combustibles, and understand the risk! Fire is very dangerous and can seriously burn you. Seems harmless at first, but believe me, these are bubbles turned evil. When ignited, the bubbles pop almost instantly, and all the propane is released in a huge fireball.
Here's a video of it in action:
- Propane blowtorch—I found one that gives the option to unscrew the top nozzle work best, like this:
- Soap and water—Simply said, a bubble-making mixture
- A large metal pan
- A lighter
How to Make the Fireballs
Note: This experiment should be done outside!! Fire is very dangerous.
Remove the TOP of the propane nozzle, it should unscrew with a little effort. Next, place the top head of the propane tank (including what's left of the blowtorch) and turn it on SLOWLY. Bubbles should start to form, make sure they are as small as possible. A good way to ensure this is to keep the nozzle vertical, so that it presses into the bottom of the pan creating higher pressure.
Finally, when you've made a desired amount of bubbles, soap up your hand (or hands, if you have somebody to light the bubbles for you), grab some bubbles (ensuring you hold the bubbles PALM UP—otherwise they will burn you!!!), and ignite them at ARMS LENGTH! Once you see fire, drop your arm so that all the bubbles are engulfed in the inferno. The bubbles will burst into a huge, satisfying fireball.
- Ensure your hands are soapy!! It protects them from the fire, and allows you to pick up the bubbles.
- Try varying the size of the bubbles, they burn differently.
- Should the nozzle head freeze up, just crack off the ice to prevent propane-flow issues.
- Use a shallow pan, it makes it easier to grab the bubbles without them popping.
- If you're using two hands, you could also light a candle rather than finding an assistant.
- If using two hands, try clapping the bubbles QUICKLY over the handle, and removing your hands QUICKLY. If done correctly, it makes a bigger fireball
- Fire is dangerous!! Don't burn yourself.
- Do this in a well-ventilated area.
- Do not throw the burning bubbles at living beings!
- I am not responsible for any harm or damage you cause.
- ENSURE you ignite the bubbles PALM UP, otherwise they will burn you.